Why is restore so slow?

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Thu Jan 31 00:33:36 AEST 1991

In article <1013 at eplunix.UUCP> das at eplunix.UUCP (David Steffens) writes:
>Who cares how slow restore is?  How often do you do have to do
>full restore on a filesystem or a whole disk?  Once or twice a year?
>If it's more often than that, then you have a REAL problem
>and maybe you ought to spend your time and energy fixing THAT!

There are quite a few reasons in an EDP environment for restoring
files.  For example, before a large unreversible process, it is
common to dump the entire database partition so it can be restored
if the process is found to have completed incorrectly.  This is
very common for such operations as payroll, monthly account closing,
quarterly stuff, etc.

The answer to questions like "How often do you do X" often come
down to "Often enough that we can't stand it any longer."
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"13 of 17 valedictorians in Boston High Schools last spring were immigrants
 or children of immigrants"   -- US News and World Report, May 15, 1990