Is the DES algorythm PD?

DoN Nichols ceilidh!dnichols at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jan 3 15:45:35 AEST 1991

"mjoyce at smiley.mitre.org says:"

>   The reason for export controls on software implementations of DES have
> always mystified me.  Here are two observations that fuel my confusion.

   [...]
> encryption.  A software implementation of DES is provided in the FORTRAN
> program (reference FIPS PUB 112, 30 May 1985, "Password Usage," Appendix D).
> FIPS PUB 112 is available from the National Technical Information Service,
> U.S. Department of Commerce, Springfield, VA 22161.  The price of FIPS PUB
> 112 was $15.95 in 1989.  Major credit cards accepted.

	Don't expect quick turnaround if you order from them now.  They had
a fire recently, and PCB's were in the transformers.  They are currently
debating whether or not it is safe for the employees to re-enter the
building.  It may be a while. :-)

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564