DES export regulations. And what to do about it!

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at pima.intel.com
Thu Jan 3 10:39:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan02.202703.8608 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>bhoughto at hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>...i.e., there's something to be said for prohibiting the
>>export of sensitive technologies
>
>Restricting DES source is like banning the sale
>of flint knives to people who have a charge account at Interarms.

There's no sense in giving your enemies free
access to your intellectual property.  If the problem is
that our _allies_ are having trouble getting it, then the
US Department of State is blowing chunks.

Ob. internals:
Yes, RSA is more nasty than DES, but DES is still virtually
infallible.  How much "harder" is it to crack an RSA'ed password than
a DES'ed one?

				--Blair
				  "Call for votes:  talk.politics.unix"