DES export regulations. And what to do about it!

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Jan 3 04:06:16 AEST 1991

In article <14475 at hoptoad.uucp>, gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
|> Doubtful.  The act of transferring the program out of the country would
|> be made by the subscriber, not the service.  I think it's pretty well
|> established that if I instruct a computer to break the law, it is I that
|> is at fault, and not the owner of the computer.

Indeed.  The README file (~ftp/pub/kerberos/README.ftp) which any person
trying to retrieve Kerberos from Project Athena's archive site
(athena-dist.mit.edu) must retrieve in order to get the instructions for
getting the rest of Kerberos says, right at the top:

   Export of this software from the United States of America is
   assumed to require a specific license from the United States
   Government.  It is the responsibility of any person or
   organization contemplating export to obtain such a license
   before exporting.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace