What does SUID, SGID and Sticky bits do on inappropriate files?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Jan 10 05:30:25 AEST 1991

In article <5114 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
 >>>SunOS and maybe other Unixes use g+s on a directory to produce sticky gid's:
 >>>files created in the directory inherit the directory's gid instead of the
 >>>creating process's egid.
 >>
 >>Wow.  SCO does that too (just checked).  Neat... 8-)  (I *honestly* didn't
 >>know it did it!  *Really*!)
 >
 >4.3BSD added this (it may have appeared in other systems before that),
 >and SunOS and S5R3.x (for some value of "x", I think the correct value
 >is 2) picked it up from there.

Brain fault - core dumped.

Said brain saw "sticky" and "directory" and immediately read "sticky
directory", not noting that the bit being talked about was the set-GID
bit, rather than the sticky bit.  (If "this" is taken as referring to
the sticky bit on directories, the statements in the posting in question
are correct.)