UNIX KERNEL SOURCE CODE ??

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Jan 5 12:29:05 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan4.164110.24105 at dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer at dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>What is real UNIX anymore?  Is it USL's UNIX?  BSD 4.3?  Mach with BSD
>functionality?  SUN OS?  OSF/1?  XENIX?  BSD 4.4?
>Each one is completely different from any other from the perspective
>of the kernel programmer.

There isn't a single "real UNIX", but the collection of "real UNIX"
implementations is a pretty small set.  I'd say BSD 4.3 and SVR[34]
is probably large enough.  However, my experience has been that any
knowlege of UNIX-like internals is better than none and MINIX sure
does count as UNIX-like.

Then entire realm of O/S internals is so unlike normal applications
level programming.  I could tell horror stories of the first college
O/S project I was part of, but suspect many of you have similiar
ones.  They usually start with "but isn't that in the library?" or
"but doesn't the compiler save those registers?"  Learning MINIX or
even 6th Edition UNIX would be very beneficial for someone considering
a career as a UNIX kernel programmer.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."