opcodes in unix ...

josef Moellers josef at nixpbe.nixdorf.de
Tue Jan 15 18:49:23 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan13.210448.18040 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> mayer at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mayer Goldberg) writes:

>I have some files written in VAX assembly lang., and I would like to
>see the opcode they get assembled into. Is there any clean way to do
>this? I know VMS for example will generate a listing of the opcode
>upon request.

There are a couple of assemblers that accept some kind of "-L"-option to
produce a listing. As two of the basic principles of UNIX are
- use high level languages and
- let a program do ONE thing right rather than two things half-right
usually assemblers don't list!

If You're interested in only selected examples, use "adb" to look at
them.
Generally, You can use "adb" to get the start addresses of the opcodes:
	1,$?ai
then extract just these start addresses and build an adb-script to print
them using e.g.
	<start>,<count>?b
This would list them in octal.

--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad at nixdorf.com	| Abt. STO-XS 113			     |