Is it "grep'

Andrew Hume andrew at alice.att.com
Thu Jan 10 16:17:13 AEST 1991

In article <5638 at discg1>, ieca006 at discg1 (william crosby) writes:
~ Hello,
~
~ I hope someone can help me. A friend of mine told me there are three words
~ in the english language that end in the letters 'gry'. I immediately came
~ up with angry and hungry. I've seen on the net where people use a command
~ and a wild card to find out different groups of words. I tried using grep
~ but I don't understand how to do it. It would be greatly appreciated if
~ someone could tell me exactly how to do it.
~
~ Thanks, Bill

	yes, it is grep. The command is

grep 'gry$' dictionary

I ran this on our dictionaries and I believe the correct answer is two
(angry and hungry) and not three. If you want to be exotic, the Second
Edition of the Mirriam-Webster New Internation Dictionaty (unabridged)
yields the following words:

web2:aggry
web2:ahungry
web2:angry