Wizard-level questions

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sun Jan 27 20:26:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan26.142403.22812 at mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> I hope not.  Otherwise permissions on directories wouldn't do much.  I
>do think the system design would have been cleaner if you only accessed
>by i-node number, and mapping filename to inode was done outside the kernel.
>But I doubt that I have many supporters in this "keep the kernel small" view.

On the contrary, you actually have quite a few supporters of that view.  But
your approach is wrong, for the reason you pointed out.  (Although... I
believe that at least one version of SunOS allowed any user to access a file
they had permission to, no matter what the permissions of the intervening
directories were.  That is, /home/sef/.private/foo, assuming foo readable by
all, and .private mode 700, would still have allowed foo to be read by
anyone who knew of it.  And this is a *bug*!  [I really hope it's been
fixed, or, better yet, that I imagined the whole thing.])  Doug Gwyn, I
think it was, had a system for "file handles," which are somewhat nice, but
are mostly an extension of the currect file-descriptor theme.

Note that none of the current setup requires that the filesystem go into the
kernel.  You can have the filesystem be a seperate process, if you wish.
(And some of us wish... 8-))

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."