Shared Libraries YO!!!

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 13 07:01:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.154811.11965 at infonode.ingr.com> mcclend at infonode.ingr.com (William D McClendon) writes:
>You entirely miss the point.  Your own quote seeks to discuss the use of
>shared libraries for one user/client/process.  The concept of shared
>libraries
>is based on the precept that there are several users (multiuser).  If an
>application will be used by several users/clients at one point, you should
>build your code with shared libraries.  If not, build your code without.

I think you have things the wrong way round.  If the library is to be
used by many different applications simultaneously, it should be
shared between them.  The fact that the application is used by many
users simultaneously makes no difference under most unix systems,
since the program text is shared regardless of whether you use shared
libraries.

>End of argument.

I think not.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin