Regular pipe vs. Named Pipe

Tom Glinos tg at utstat.uucp
Sat Jun 22 00:22:46 AEST 1991

>I have a better argument: System V message queues are an uni-UNIX abomination
>that create a new name-space for no good reason, and should be avoided whenever
>possible on political grounds. The single namespace created in the original
>UNIX design is its greatest strength, and any attempt to confuse things by
>creating objects that don't appear in it is evil, rude, and should be opposed
>by all right thinking people.
>
>There's glory for you!
>--
>Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;

The glory of message queues is that they can be amazingly fast.

When I looked into this several years ago I found that systems
that when a system supports both message queues and named pipes
the message queues are orders of magnitudes faster than named pipes.

One is therefore tempted to submit oneself to evil!