millisecond timer

Craig Leres leres at ace.ee.lbl.gov
Sat Jun 22 09:25:12 AEST 1991

Chris Torek writes:
> In article <1991Jun11.173751.25189 at linus.mitre.org> jfjr at mbunix.mitre.org
> (Freedman) writes:
> >     I have a Sun Sparcstation running SunOs 4.0.3. I need to
> >be able to produce timestamps with 1 millisecond granularity.
>
> The SparcStation has a microsecond timer, and I thought SunOS brought
> it out in gettimeofday().  Their scheduling resolution is still 10 ms,
> though.

SunOS 4.0's gettimeofday() (really uniqtime()) did not take advantage
of the microsecond clock; I think the first release that did was 4.1.
But unfortunately, only for the 4/60 and 4/330. (I remember hacking up
a binary patch to make it work with a 4/65.) By 4.1.1, the code was
fixed to check for any Sun4c as well as the two Sun4's which have it
(the 4/330 and 4/470).

		Craig