Fundamental defect of the concept of shared libraries

Kristoffer Eriksson ske at pkmab.se
Sat Jun 1 15:40:32 AEST 1991

In article <209 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>In article <1991May16.200702.7476 at Think.COM> barmar at think.com writes:
>>When PC-relative addressing isn't available or usable, you just need
>>register+offset addressing, which most computers have.
>
>I was wrong here, yes, it is possible if we use indirect addressing to
>access global data, but it is slow.

Why would register-relative addressing be any slower than PC-relative
addressing?

> In-lining of functions in shared libraries is, of course, impossible.

What nonsense. If you inline such a function, you simply don't reference
the version of the function in the library any more, since inlining it has
already put a copy of it at the place of the reference.
--
Kristoffer Eriksson, Peridot Konsult AB, Hagagatan 6, S-703 40 Oerebro, Sweden
Phone: +46 19-13 03 60  !  e-mail: ske at pkmab.se
Fax:   +46 19-11 51 03  !  or ...!{uunet,mcsun}!sunic.sunet.se!kullmar!pkmab!ske