IPC keys

Chris Torek torek at horse.ee.lbl.gov
Mon Jun 3 12:35:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun2.234335.12694 at cs.umn.edu> wsmith at cs.umn.edu
(Warren Smith [Randy]) writes:
>... Is there some sort of standard key management system that I'm
>unaware of?

There is a hack based on device and inode numbers, but it is just a
hack.

>If not, why was IPC implemented without addressing this problem?

The IPC that wound up in System V was never intended as a general
facility.  It exists because a special-purpose application running
on a special-purpose kernel had to move to a generic kernel, so they
stuck in a special-purpose IPC.  Unforunately, `they' were USDL,
the group in charge of System III.

Now you know. :-)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov