Regular pipe vs. Named Pipe

Cy Foughty cfoughty at digi.lonestar.org
Tue Jun 11 00:32:56 AEST 1991

In article <zfgo01.676423337 at hgo7> zfgo01 at hgo7.hou.amoco.com (F. G. Oakes) writes:
>cfoughty at digi.lonestar.org (Cy Foughty) writes:
>

>>	What are the differences between a regular pipe and a
>>	named pipe?
>
>>	Which type of pipe is faster and by how much?
>
>>	Which is faster, a named pipe or a message queue?
>
>>	Does a named pipe always go to disk or only when the allocated
>>	memory is exhausted?
>
>>	Finally, please send me any additional comments, hints, or
>>	suggestions concerning Interprocess Communications. I been
>>	using ALL the different IPC mechanisms for years but there
>>	are a few lingering questions.
>
>I don't mean to offend, but I think some of this would be obvious if you RTM.
>
>As to which is faster--depends on your CPU, the version of UNIX you're using,
>etc.
>
>There are a number of good references on the design, structure, and internals
>of the UNIX operating system that describe this very well.  I'd recommend them
>as supplemental reading--not light, but enlightening.
>
>As far as IPC, I've found the docmentation, included with the operating
>system (SVR5.3.X and SVR4.0) to adequate for me.
>--
>zfgo01 at hgo7.hou.amoco.com (Glen Oakes)

Unfortunately Unix manuals are a joke at best. Not everything works as
advertised. Hardly any books/manuals include live working examples.
I also don't need "adequate" documentation, I need answers quick. I've a
lot of work to perform.

--
Cy Foughty
DSC Communications, Inc. 1000 Coit Rd., Plano,TX 75075