Regular pipe vs. Named Pipe

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Jun 14 00:38:02 AEST 1991

In article <25101:Jun1217:29:0291 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>I meant what I wrote. A program which supports message queues and
>UNIX-domain sockets will work correctly on far more machines than a
>program which supports named pipes. In fact, a program which does
>anything with named pipes that couldn't be done with pipes is almost
>certainly going to fail on one of (A) SunOS; (B) Ultrix; (C) SVR4.

Does "anything" include open()?  And by more machines, do you mean
more types of machine or more existing machines?  I'd guess that
386's running SysVr3 or Xenix are the biggest chunk of the unix
market right now and they won't have sockets unless they come with
an add-on TCP/IP package.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us