Quest: Sockets in SYSVR3

Simon Rosenthal simon at fuquad.westford.ccur.com
Fri Jun 21 06:07:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.184132.29431 at noao.edu> rstevens at noao.edu (Rich Stevens) writes:
>> However, SYSVR4 does have sockets based on streams
>> and I am curious how it maintains sockets for dup
>> and fork operations.
> --
>In summary, the paper says that it takes both a user library
>(socklib) and a streams module (sockmod) to provide sockets
>over streams.
>
>	Rich Stevens  (rstevens at noao.edu)

We are just finishing up a sockets-over-SVR4 Streams implementation.
For binary compatibility reasons, we chose to maintain all existing
socket system calls, and move the socket-to-sockmod "glue" that would
be in a user library such as the one referenced above into the kernel.
No problems with forks, dups, or fcntl operations.

The ATT SVR4 'Programmer's Guide : Networking Interfaces' (published by
Prentice-Hall) has a chapter on moving sockets applications to SVR4 and
the differences between Berkeley and SVR4 sockets implementations.

- Simon