Regular pipe vs. Named Pipe

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Jun 21 04:43:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.184737.6343 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> GRRR!  You should really read some market data Dan.  There are
> probably several million more "machines" out there running with Named
> Pipes and no Sockets than there are the other way 'round.

That's why he said "supports message queues and UNIX domain sockets". That
is to say:

	#ifdef BSD
		... code for sockets ...
	#else
		... code for message queues ...
	#endif

So he wasn't as insane as he sounded. However, as a user of one of the
system that supports neither... but does support named pipes... I do disagree
with his conclusion.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"