Regular pipe vs. Named Pipe

F. G. Oakes zfgo01 at hgo7.hou.amoco.com
Sun Jun 9 09:22:17 AEST 1991

cfoughty at digi.lonestar.org (Cy Foughty) writes:

>	What are the differences between a regular pipe and a
>	named pipe?

>	Which type of pipe is faster and by how much?

>	Which is faster, a named pipe or a message queue?

>	Does a named pipe always go to disk or only when the allocated
>	memory is exhausted?

>	Finally, please send me any additional comments, hints, or
>	suggestions concerning Interprocess Communications. I been
>	using ALL the different IPC mechanisms for years but there
>	are a few lingering questions.

I don't mean to offend, but I think some of this would be obvious if you RTM.

As to which is faster--depends on your CPU, the version of UNIX you're using,
etc.

There are a number of good references on the design, structure, and internals
of the UNIX operating system that describe this very well.  I'd recommend them
as supplemental reading--not light, but enlightening.

As far as IPC, I've found the docmentation, included with the operating
system (SVR5.3.X and SVR4.0) to adequate for me.