Shared libraries are not necessary

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Sun Jun 9 17:38:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun7.050655.27873 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
	andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:

>>Thus, my claim is, "when only one X application runs at a time, as is often
>>the case, then memory consumption increases with shared libraries".

>Why in the world would someone 'often' use X to only run one application at a
>time?

Only one application (multiple xterms are counted as one application, because
of text sharing) on each host. You may be using multiple hosts with multiple
xterms.

BTW, as a broader claim, I should have said, "is actively running" instead
of "runs".

When you are writing a program, or drawing a picture, you often concentrate
on a single application. Then, unless you are running something like xeyes,
there is only one "actively running" process.

>For that matter, does the server count?  How about the window manager?

If you are running them on the machine with xterms, they count, but you
may not.

And, still, the server count for saving of libc.a, but not for libX*.a.

Window managers count more, but it dose not mean fair amount of sharing
is possible.

	% size twm mwm xterm
	text	data	bss	dec	hex
	327680	61440	30416	419536	666d0	twm
	1028096	192512	31088	1251696	131970	mwm
	602112	139264	41536	782912	bf240	xterm

Judging from the large difference in text size between xterm and window
managers shown above, memory consumption is, perhaps, dominated by mwm
(if you are running mwm and xterm) or xterm (if you are running twm and
xterm).

						Masataka Ohta