Regular pipe vs. Named Pipe

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Jun 26 10:46:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun21.142246.25245 at utstat.uucp> tg at utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) writes:
> The glory of message queues is that they can be amazingly fast.

Ah, an implementation detail.

> When I looked into this several years ago I found that systems
> that when a system supports both message queues and named pipes
> the message queues are orders of magnitudes faster than named pipes.

Yes, but that's to be expected. It's the same high priests of evil that
did the implementations of both. If they had implemented message queues
as special files like named pipes (easy enough to do) they'd be just as
fast and we wouldn't have to sacrifice the purity of our bodily fluids
to get our work done.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"