(was slashes, now NFS devices)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Mar 12 09:18:35 AEST 1991

In article <147163 at pyramid.pyramid.com> mre at pyrps5.pyramid.com (Mike Eisler) writes:
> In article <DSR91=G at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >In article <468 at appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
> >> Nobody, including RFS, has ever come up with networked devices in any
> >> sort of general fashion.

> >Intel's OpenNET seems to do a pretty good job of it. Consider (bridge is
> >running System V/386, xds13 is running Xenix/286):

> Larry said "general". RFS is capable of doing Intel to Intel transactions
> as well as anything. However can OpenNet perform device accesses between
> 386's and Sparcs?

No, but it *can* do it between DOS and Unix or Xenix. And it can do it between
VAX/VMS and UNIX or Xenix. I've never run it from DOS to VMS.

 (i.e., I presume the point your making is that it's not Open if it's
  limited to intel. Last I heard intel didn't make VAXes. They don't
  necessarily make the CPUs in random DOS machines, either, but that's
  a nit-pick. In any case if they can run it on DOS they should certainly
  not have any difficulty with SunOS.)
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com