Help getting pointer to a u structure of a process

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Fri Mar 8 23:03:27 AEST 1991

In article <2033 at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au> boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au (Boyd Roberts) writes:
>You should first ask yourself whether this is a good idea.
>
>If you really want to, some UNIX kernels have a uaccess() call
>that maps in another processes u-area at some known kernel virtual
>address.  Other implementations may return you a pointer to it.

There are plenty of good reasons for wanting to get your hands
on some other U area.  The "ofiles" command posted to the net
some time back dopes around the process table, then goes out
and grabs the U areas of all the active processes.

>Let's be careful out there :-)

Hmmmm.  Anyone reading this group who doesn't have a good kernel
debugger should give up now.  If you can't snoop about, you can't
figger out where this stuff is ...
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.