What, exactly, are stat.st_blocks, statfs.f_b

Paul Anderson paul at cs.edinburgh.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 23:27:30 AEST 1991

In article <6428 at auspex.auspex.com>, guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

> The SunOS documentation doesn't say what the units are, but "st_blocks"
> is in units of 512 bytes on UFS and on NFS to most if not all UNIX
> servers, and should be in units of 512 bytes on any other file systems
> plugged into your system.

Things might have changed, but this certainly didn't used to be true of the
Pyramid system we had - st_blocks was in units of f_bsize. Things like "du"
gave results that were out by a factor of two (or more) depending on the
NFS filesystem that your files lived on! I agree with you that this was
wrong, but I have never seen the correct units actually stated anywhere.

Paul Anderson                      JANET: paul at uk.ac.ed.lfcs
LFCS, Dept. of Computer Science    UUCP:  ..!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!paul
University of Edinburgh            ARPA:  paul%lfcs.ed.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, UK.             Tel:   031-650-5193