Unix security additions

John F Carr jfc at athena.mit.edu
Tue Mar 12 06:33:47 AEST 1991

>Why does UNIX still trust the network (ethernet in most cases)
>it is attached to?

It depends what version you are running.  At MIT/Athena we haven't trusted
the network for passwords or authentication since 1987.  We use the Kerberos
authentication system.  At login time, a server sends you a packet encrypted
in a key based on your password.  By decrypting this, you prove your
identity without sending your password over the net.  For more information
ftp athena-dist.mit.edu and look in ~ftp/pub/kerberos.

The Berkeley test release ("4.3 reno") includes Kerberos, as does Ultrix
(DEC is also working on a network security system based on public key
encryption).  OSF security will be based on Kerberos.

>When will internet packets start being encrypted?

Versions of rlogin and telnet exist that support encrypted connections.

--
    John Carr (jfc at athena.mit.edu)