NFS vs communications meduim (was slashes, then NFS devices)

John Milburn milburn at me10.lbl.gov
Tue Mar 19 10:19:19 AEST 1991

In the referenced article torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:

>Van Jacobson regulary gets around 1 MB/s (8 Mb/s) on Sun-3 (68020) boxes.
>4.3BSD-reno (a much less carefully tuned system than Van's) running on a VAX
>8250 with a DEUNA, talking to an Encore Multimax running UMax 4.3, receives
>data inside FTP at 130 kb/s or just a bit over 1 Mb/s.

>(I used `get /vmunix /dev/null' to get this number.  Note that this depends
>on the rate at which the remote machine can generate data for you.)

There are commercial implementations using Van's alogrithms.  Using an
hp9000s400 (HP/UX 7.03) connected to a locally connected sun4 (SunOS
4.1), and using the same method, "get /vmunix /dev/null", I get a
binary transfer rate of 501 Kbyte/sec or .5 MByte/s.  The hp is using
header prediction, dynamic window sizing, and Phil Karn's clamped
retransmission algorithm.

If I go to another sun4 on the other side of a cisco router, a Dec LanBridge,
and two FDDI <-> ether bridges, the rate drops to 240 Kbyte/s.

-jem
--
John Milburn             milburn at me10.lbl.gov     (415) 486-6969
"Inconceivable!"