What, exactly, are stat.st_blocks, statfs.f_b

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Mar 11 10:15:44 AEST 1991

  I'm sorry to be so insistent, but I still haven't seen one clear,
unequivocal answer to this question: If a system has st_blocks in its stat
structure, then how can I tell what the count in st_blocks is in terms of?

  Do I assume it's 512 everywhere?  Do I do statfs on each file?  Or something
else?  I'm willing to use #ifdef magic in order to make it work on various
different types of systems, but I haven't yet seen one clear answer to my
question of *what* the #ifdef magic should do.

  The theoretical discussion is interesting, but it doesn't really help to
solve my particular problem, especially since I don't understand all of it at
first glance and don't have time to read it enough times to understand it :-).

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace