Arg list too big

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Fri Mar 15 19:49:11 AEST 1991

In article <805 at essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM>, smitty at essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) writes:
>   ../.././util/makedepend/makedepend -s "# DO NOT DELETE #" -I../../. -I. -- *.c

> 	sh: ../.././util/makedepend/makedepend: arg list too long

> I know that the exec system calls can only pass 5120 (10240) bytes.
> This argument is only *.c when passed by the exec.

The exec make does, yes.  On the other hand, when sh goes to exec
../.././util/makedepend/makedepend, it has to pass the whole list of
filenames to it.

> When is the *.c expanded?  Before or after it gets to the shell?  I
> thought the shell did the expansion, in which case the argument list
> to the shell is only *.c.

Right.  Make passes the whole line to sh.  sh then has to expand the
*.c and pass the result to makedepend.  I feel certain the complaint is
produced at this point.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu