Need help formating disks under 4.3bsd!

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 28 08:17:39 AEST 1991

I would like to know if anyone out there in UNIX wizard land might be
able to help me?  I have a Microvax II running 4.3bsd.  One of my
hard drives has developed a large number of bad sectors.  I have
read all the information I could find on line about the system and
things don't seem to be what they should be.  According to the boot
message the adaptor in question is an UDA50.  The disk is specified as
a rd53 and the special file is /dev/ra1?.

The man pages on format and the like tell me how to boot the system and
get the formater running, of course it is wrong.  After a lot of f**king around
I managed to find a format program in a directory called /sys/stand/format.
I made a directory called /stand and cp'd format into that directory.
I then fiddled with the boot program and got format running only to be
told by format that hp and up were the only known controllers.  WELL!
thats the problem, the format program seems to be up to date with the
makefile but no uda, ra, or rd ...  If anyone has any ideas, I
would sure like to here about them.  The drive is in bad shape and I need to get
it reformatted soon.

I am no expert when it comes to UNIX, 4.3bsd or Microvaxs, so there is a
good chance I am overlooking something very basic.  If you can help me I
would certainly appreciate it!

  Kirk
email:   kirk at braille.uwo.ca		room H045 Health Sciences Addition
phone: (519) 661-3061			University of Western Ontario
					London Ontario N6A 5C1