(was slashes, now NFS devices)

Robert Thurlow thurlow at convex.com
Sun Mar 17 12:52:34 AEST 1991

In <2043 at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au> boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au (Boyd Roberts) writes:
>NFS is a kludge.  If it was designed to run (predominately) with UNIX
>machines, then why oh why doesn't it support UNIX file-system semantics?

I don't think it can.  I know I can't unplug local disk and get correct
behaviour from our Unix kernel.  I wish I could.  I don't know of too
many differences in NFS behaviour that don't trace to this problem,
other than the implementation bugs I know we have to fix.

>The uniformity of the the file-system is one of UNIX's great strengths
>which gets thrown out the window when you NFS mount something.

Then don't do remote mounts.  Or let's talk about real bugs.  Or invent
something that can do what you want.

Rob T
Rob Thurlow, thurlow at convex.com
An employee and not a spokesman for Convex Computer Corp., Dallas, TX