hiding files under a mount point.

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Tue Mar 26 23:00:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar20.131908.18569 at news.cs.indiana.edu>, sahayman at porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:
>> [files hidden under a mount point] can't be used until you umount
>> the filesystem.

> Actually you can get at them if you mount the file system which
> really contains the hidden files by NFS, and then look around via
> NFS.

True, and I maintain this is a bug (or at best a misfeature) in NFS.
This is one thing Irix got right; they have an option "nohide" (I
forget just where one applies it) which results in local disk mounts
being seamless when seen via NFS.

I don't say it should be the default, but I definitely think it should
be available.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu