Multithreaded filesystems

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Mar 3 05:25:50 AEST 1991

>>How would one go about adapting a single-threaded filesystem to a UNIX-style
>>multi-threaded filesystem?  Just what kind of changes are going to be needed?
>
>Encore has already done this, and done it well.

Encore's already done *something*; whether it's "this" or not is another
question.

I.e., from his reference to "multi-threaded filesystem(s)" as being
"UNIX-style", I assumed he considered "UNIX-style filesystem(s)" as
being intrinsically "multi-threaded", perhaps meaning that multiple
UNIX-style processes could access them.  Encore took a file system that
was already "UNIX-style", and made it work in a multiprocessor kernel
with thread support.

Methinks the original poster should indicate precisely what he meant by
"adapting a single-threaded filesystem to a UNIX-style multi-threaded
filesytem".