Shared libraries are not necessary

Rob Marchand rob at array.UUCP
Fri May 31 00:47:35 AEST 1991

In article <4752 at skye.ed.ac.uk> richard at aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <1991May21.170435.22610 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>>Note that I also said "development with X."  Guess what:  those libraries
>>aren't shared, it works out to about 1.5Mbytes *per X application*, and,
>>with a dozen or so people doing that, that *is* a considerable amount of
>>memory.
>
>While Sun's shared libraries are far from perfect, they have certainly
>made X development here a lot less tedious for another reason.  The
>time to link a binary has dropped from about a minute to about 10
>seconds, due to not having to write out the huge a.out file.

	I would tend to agree with Richard here; although I don't have
	a great deal of experience in this area, I have noted that a SunView
	application (a small one, just a simple rasterfile viewer) went
	from over 600K on disk (pre SunOS shared libraries) to 24K.
	And, as Richard notes, the link time improves as well....

	Seems to me that there are people on two sides of the fence here,
	and that it is unlikely anyone is going to change their mind :-)

	Cheers!
	Rob Marchand

--
Rob Marchand                   UUCP  : uunet!attcan!lsuc!array!rob
Array Systems Computing        ARPA  : rob%array.UUCP at uunet.UU.NET