Shared libraries

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Mon May 13 18:04:12 AEST 1991

In article <1991May12.011253.35 at kithrup.COM>
	sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>>And shared libraries dose *NOT* help the transition from /etc/hosts to DNS.

>Uhm, yes, it does.  For the original transition, no, you're right, it
>doesn't help, as you have to change the code in the application.

So, my claim is confirmed.

>But afterwards, when the applications will deal with multiple addresses,
>then consider this:  if you're not going to run a nameserver, just get
>addresses out of /etc/hosts, then you don't *need* the nameserver code in
>your application(s), do you?

My claim (and the current subject) is

>>And shared libraries dose *NOT* help the transition from /etc/hosts to DNS.
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are talking about the reverse transition.

And still,

>The alternative is to have both in every program that tries to use
>networking, and this is a waste of both system memory and disk space.

I showed in my old posting with measurement that the consumed area
is negligibly small. So, it should be noted that the measured system
(SONY NEWSOS 4.0R) supports both /etc/hosts, DNS and NIS.

>But I guess, as usual, you don't care about that.

Based on the measurement, I don't care.

						Masataka Ohta