BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue May 21 22:41:35 AEST 1991

In article <16215 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Gee, nice diagrams.  If done earlier, it might have saved a thousand words.

The problem is that his diagrams still didn't answer the question.  I
don't care about what happens at login time, but rather what happens
well after login time.

>Ready for the next question?  Why an SAK like ^K?  Why not just have loss
>of DTR be the attention signal?  You're going to blow off the previous
>session anyway, might as well let terminal poweroff automatically serve
>as your SAK.  (Yes, I know you have to wire and configure things correctly,
>but that sort of argument applies to any scheme.)

AT&T, in their SV/MLS system, supports 3 different SAK mechanisms for
the 630 MTG terminal.  They are 1) power cycling, 2) <CTRL><BREAK>
and 3) <SHIFT><CTRL><ESC>.  I'd wager that the hardware guys prefer
you don't power cycle because of the stress that places on the
hardware compared to a simple keystroke sequence.  [ I'm sure the
customers would prefer the system not nuke everything in sight. ]
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
 rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."