Shared Lib Question (ISC)

Robert Elz kre at cs.mu.oz.au
Fri May 10 00:19:36 AEST 1991

jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>The notion that there should
>never be global variables with all manner of hidden side
>effects was beaten into my brain as a CS undergrad.

All kinds of generally true, but occasionally inadequate, principles
are beaten into the brains of CS undergrads (or those that actually
have such things) - CS undergrads are, as a rule, lacking in the maturity
and experience needed to understand the subtleties of what really should
be done.  I suspect that dmr just may have had that experience and ability.

>Were the code in the C library pure, shared libraries would
>be extremely simple to implement.

True, they'd also be close to useless.

kre