BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Wed May 22 22:38:07 AEST 1991

In article <14858 at ulysses.att.com> smb at ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) writes:
>Umm -- ctrl-BREAK drops DTR, which is one solution already suggested.
>And ctrl-shift-ESC on the 630 is the reset sequence, which not only
>drops DTR, but also wipes the program cache, the font cache, etc.,
>on the terminal.  In other words, it's the software equivalent of
>power-cycling...

It is not, however, the =hardware= equivalent of power cycling.  As
is often argued [ religiously ] on various groups, power cycling is
bad for your equipment.  That's why I said that the hardware weenies
probably would rather that you use the keyboard SAK varieties.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
 rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."