Shared Lib Question (ISC)

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Wed May 15 13:13:00 AEST 1991

In article <19273 at rpp386.cactus.org>
	jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>>The problem is that NO OS support shared libraries right, perhaps because
>>there is no way to do so.

>This is trivially false, and the conclusion you reached along with it.

To claim so, he could have simply name a OS which do shared libraries
right, which he don't and perhaps can't do.

>>Indirect jumps and accompanied process private data for the jump table.

>Oh, so you don't like any shared library because it has to use things
>that you don't like?  And this is the basis for your proof that NO OS
>can "support shared libraries right."

Below is the JFH's claim.

	From: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)
	Newsgroups: comp.unix.internals
	Subject: Re: Shared Lib Question (ISC)
	Date: 9 May 91 00:00:52 GMT

	Were the code in the C library pure, shared libraries would
	be extremely simple to implement.  Data, which isn't sharable,
	is the worst of the flies in the ointment.

And, as I pointed out, the jump table IS unsharable global data.

>Well, boyo, it's off to the KILL file for you!

Good-bye.

						Masataka Ohta