Shared libraries are not necessary

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Mon May 20 18:32:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991May17.053735.2123 at kithrup.COM>
	sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>>How much memory dose YOUR SS2 have? I remember minimum is 16MB, which
>>is much larger than 1.5MB.

>Not when you have 13+ people working on it, most doing something with
>xterms, quite a few doing some development with X.

If you have 13+ people, you have very few merit (if any) with shared
libraries. As text of a binary is shared and most are using xterm, the
same binary is shared. The total amount of extra memory is still 1.5MB,
which is much more negligible compared to the total amount of memory
which is large enough (perhaps 32~64MB) to hold data area of 13+
people.

>When are you going to understand something:  just because *you* don't use
>something, does not mean that nobody else wants to, or that it's not a good
>thing for other people.

I say we shouldn't use shared libraries because it is no good.

>For example, some people like keeping short-lived
>(but longer lived than the next boot cycle) things in /tmp...

For what exmaple? Do you want to claim keeping short-lived things in /tmp is
a bad habit? Strange. Though I don't do that, it is OK for someone else to
do so.

							Masataka Ohta