Implementing a multitasking OS on top of UNIX

Craig Robinson craig at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Sat May 11 06:34:06 AEST 1991

In article <19260 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>I'm torn between saying your should be flunked for asking the
>net, which I think is cheating, or given an A for asking the
>net, which is what real people do when stumped ...

I don't think it is cheating at all.  I didn't ask anybody for source code,
I just asked for ideas.  Like you said, I was stumped, so I went to the net
for resources, because I knew I could find them.

The results I received from my question were not any step by step details
on how to do the project, but mostly like the answer I got from you, saying
that I was making the problem too complex.  As it turns out, you were
right, and it now seems fairly simple to me.  So, the only knowledge I
gained from the net was stuff that I really could not have learned from a
book, after all, my text book was what overwhelmed me in th first place.

I also received some good ideas about using the SunOS LWP library to do the
project.  All in all, I learned more than if I had not asked the question,
and that is the reason I'm going to college in the first place.

>--
>John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
>Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
>"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
> rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."

Craig

craig at acns.nwu.edu