cpp gone in 4.0 (Was: cpp vs. m4 for .s files)

Dave McCracken dcm at baldur.dell.com
Fri May 10 23:39:43 AEST 1991

urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

>In article <14717 at ulysses.att.com> ekrell at ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) writes:
>Well I guess I was mistaken.  It isn't physically gone.  I guess it's still their
>for backwards compatibility or something - extra baggage.  However, it's not
>a supported way of using the pre-processor.  You should use cc -E or cc -P.
>If you type in: truss -o /tmp/CPP -f cc -E file.c
>and then examine /tmp/CPP, you'll see that cpp is never called.

The cpp functionality is folded into acomp in SVR4.  The reason /usr/ccs/lib/cpp
is still provided is that ANSI requires different tokenizing rules for the ANSI
preprocessor.  This change means that any application using cpp on non-C files
(see most of the GNU products) must NOT use cc -E, but must use /usr/ccs/lib/cpp
if it is to work.

--
Dave McCracken      dcm at dell.dell.com      (512) 343-3720
Dell Computer       9505 Arboretum Blvd    Austin, TX 78759-7299