Shared libraries are not necessary

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Fri May 17 15:37:35 AEST 1991

In article <201 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>I don't think your estimate with xterm, xclock, xbiff, xgif, xtrek, a few
>programs you've grabbed and compiled, is conservative.

I usually run xterm, xclock, xbiff, and, occasionally, emacs; some previous
coworkers also would run xtrek and/or xconq.  One would run an x-based gif
viewer almost constantly.  When I'm in a development mood, I can easily run
several other X applications (InterViews, actually, usually).

>And, even with your radical example, 1.5Mbytes is negligible for a machine
>which run xterm, xclock, xbiff, xgif, xtrek, a few programs you've grabbed
>and compiled.

No, it's not.  I've been on machines, doing *all* of that, that had 6Mbytes.
Granted, I tended to cut down what I was doing real quick, *because the X
code was so large*.

>How much memory dose YOUR SS2 have? I remember minimum is 16MB, which
>is much larger than 1.5MB.

Not when you have 13+ people working on it, most doing something with
xterms, quite a few doing some development with X.

When are you going to understand something:  just because *you* don't use
something, does not mean that nobody else wants to, or that it's not a good
thing for other people.  For example, some people like keeping short-lived
(but longer lived than the next boot cycle) things in /tmp...

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."