Fundamental defect of the concept of shared libraries

amolitor at eagle.wesleyan.edu amolitor at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Wed May 22 12:14:51 AEST 1991

In article <215 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp>, mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
> As the architechture can not map them, a possible workaround is to flush
> cache/page-table by software at context switch.

	Umm. You generally have to flush this at context switch time anyway,
when you switch the memory map around. Is the phrase 'by software' meaningful
here? I haven't looked at address translation hardware in some years.

	Before saying that sharable libraries are only possible on slow
hardware, I suggest taking a look at the Vax architecture. I would hardly refer
to a vax 9000 as slow, and I point out that it uses sharable libraries.
Further, it is a trivial exercise to sketch a perfectly reasonable
machine/software configuration in which the use of sharable libraries
saves many hundreds of megabytes, or more, of disk.

	Incidentally, my thanks to Mr. Ohta for providing a little levity and
humor in this newsgroup.

	Andrew