Shared libraries

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Wed May 22 18:02:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.232345.8739 at jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
	cks at hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

> Apart from ifconfig purposes, one almost never needs to name specific
>interfaces if one has well written software (and even less if you have
>smart software). Certainly I can't think of a case where ordinary
>users need to, unlike the authentification case with routines that
>only return one IP address.

If some interface of a gateway is down, it is necessary to reach there
by explicitely specifying its IP address or its name.

Even if software is written properly, it is usually annoying to wait
time-out of the first IP address.

>Depending on where on
>the network s/he happens to be sitting today, one fails and the other
>works, both work, or both fail.

The user should authentificate all of IP addresses, for simplicity.
Anyway, X11 with IP-based connection authentification is not a real
authentification.

A little better autehtification is by .rhosts.

> On the other hand, network topology updates are often distributed,
>not centralized.

Network topology updates affect routing and often cause network trouble.
So, it should be informed to all related administrators.

>I don't have any idea whether or not the Department
>of Statistics is splitting their network today, nor if this will
>affect any of my users or any of their users who're trying to use my
>machines.

Consider the case where you have your account in Department of Statistics
and want to trust all workstations there.

As the addition of non-gateway hosts is much more frequent and often
distributed, it is convenient for users that authentification is done
with netgroups of NIS.

						Masataka Ohta