Shared Lib Question (ISC)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Mon May 13 04:21:50 AEST 1991

>Apparently, you haven't used many OSes. Most OSes do many things badly.

Irrelevant.  I said that different OSes provide various functions in
different fashions, which means that the fact that different OSes
implement shared libraries isn't any sort of valid argument against
shared libraries; your statement doesn't have any relevance to that.

So what's an OS that doesn't "do many things badly"?

>Moreover, there seems to be no right implementation of shared libraries, so
>far.

OK, so what would you consider a "right" implementation of them?  What
don't you like about, say, Multics's implementation, or VMS's, or
Aegis's, or SunOS 4.x/S5R4's, or OSF/1's, or....?