Wanted -- tape management system

Russell J Fulton;ccc032u russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Thu Dec 6 15:40:38 AEST 1990

We need a system to manage tapes on our SGI 4D system. We are looking for the
following features.

    1/ supports ANSI labels
    2/ mount and unmount operations for both labeled and unlabeled tapes.
    3/ catalog of tape giving storage location and other information for
       tape held by the system.
    4/ wrappers for tar etc to read and then skip over labels.

Item 2 implies managing the /dev... files to maintain secure access to who
ever has the device mounted at any particular time.

I would be interested in system that does parts of this e.g. manage the
security of the /dev... files to prevent one user overwriting another's tape
since I will probably end up writing a system if I can't find one.
(I have done it before on an IBM VM system in PLI and assembler :-( )

Cheers Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton at aukuni.ac.nz>