Hello

Dan Cummings doc at tera.com
Wed Sep 12 06:37:23 AEST 1990

In <LOWA.90Sep10084454 at imtws3.im.se> lowa at imtws3.im.se (Leif-Olof Wallin IMT) writes:

>How about the following definition just to get the discussion started:

>	> 200 users
>	> 10 GB of disk
>	> 50 Mips

All right,  I'm game.   Just for starters I would say that this is
not a very well balanced system by today's standards.   I am biased in
this statement by a long term involvement with supercomputer Unix
implementations.   More than 200 users implies that you have a fair
chunk of memory.   With this much memory 10GB of disk is probably
inadequate.   50 mips is probably also inadequate.   The Cray-2
at NERSC in Livermore california supports 200 users at a time as
do,  I believe,  the YMP installations at NASA Ames and the YMP
at San Diego Supercomputer Center.   Is this the class of machine we
are talking about?   If so then this is a supercomputer Unix
forum.   Such a forum is worthwhile now that there are other contenders
besides Cray research in this market.

Dan Cummings
Tera Computer Company
doc at tera.com