Survey ( Administering large numbers of users )

Christopher e Stefan ces at milton.u.washington.edu
Sun Sep 16 06:54:48 AEST 1990

our site (*.u.washington.edu) runs several localy developed utillities
that address some of the problems voiced here, specificly:

1. an account creation system tied into unique usernames and student
   numbers

2. an accounting system tied into the student number database providing
   load leveling when users exceed their cpu and connect time quotas

3. TMS, a tape management system, providing exclusive access to tape
   drives and check-in/check-out from the tape library

4. a mail forwarding system

and, undoubtedly several more utillities useful to sysadmins at large
sites that I either: a) can't remember, or b) have never heard of
becasue I'm a user not an administrator.

If you are interested in obtaining more information about the programs
used at the University of Washington, or just exchanging information I
would strongly getting in contact with either:

	Ken Lowe (ken at cac.washington.edu) or
	Ken Case (kc at cac.washington.edu)

who are the people responsible for administrating the systems in the
U.Washington.EDU domain, and who are also responsible for
writing/maintaining most of the locally developed UNIX systems
software.

I hope this is of some help.  :-)

--
Christopher e Stefan.  | INTERNET: ces at u.washington.EDU  | (206) 526-9817
"Natural causes,       |     UUCP: ... !beaver!blake!ces | 4746 21st Ave NE