Survey

matt matt at locus.com
Wed Sep 12 09:30:47 AEST 1990

Frank asks about the following system management problems on large
Unix systems.
>  (1a) Operator Ids.
>  (1b) Operator root privs.
>  (2)  Tape Management
>  (3)  Load Balancing
>  (4)  User Management
>  (5)  Accounting

The OSF has recently sent out a request for designs for a system
management tool package that addresses some of the above concerns.

SCO's ODT on smaller unix machines has a menu driven system operations
facility that helps a beginning user access the various unix utilities
to do some of the above functions.

I am developing a system management tool for AIX on large IBM iron
that will allow full accountability and root privileges with restricted
access to certain functions.  It will cover the following areas of
system administration:
	Inventory Control
	Change Management
	Problem Management
	System Management
		Network accounting and management
		Performance accounting and management
		System maintenance
		User account management over a distributed network
		System accounting and change logging

The interface is through a menu with command line access to any
function or sub-function along with complete customizability and
portability.  If anyone is interested or has any comments or
observations I would be delighted to hear.

I am also interested in anything along these lines that is being
used that can be integrated with our software to increase its
usability or functionality.  If there are other system management
functions that you would like to see added to the above list, or
if there is a unix operating system that you would like to see
this available for please respond directly to me at the following
address.

									Matt Campbell
(213)337-5900
matt at locus.com