Survey

Griff Smith ggs at ulysses.att.com
Tue Sep 11 23:24:07 AEST 1990

In article <FWP1.90Sep10140422 at ra.CC.MsState.Edu>, fwp1 at CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:
> (2)  Tape device management.  Another capability supported in
>      mainframe operating systems is the ability to gain exclusive
>      control of a tape device, request that a tape be mounted, and
>      release the device when the user is finished with it.  We would
>      like to have this capability in our UNIX environment as well.

> Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1 at CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1 at MsState
>                Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

Part of this is available now, at least for academic sites.  I have a
resource manager that we use to control access to tape drives on our
systems.  The operator request part will probably come soon.  The down
side: academic only, SunOS and BSD only, source not available yet
because of licensing problems (sigh), not ported to System V yet.  The
up side: it's free if you qualify.  See the proceedings of the 1989
Baltimore Summer USENIX convention for details.
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736
Internet:	ggs at ulysses.att.com